The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called "truth." ~Dan Rather

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Geometry Sketchpad

Something I've noticed recently in my own learning is that I've had a hard time paying attention to class lectures (Robin, this isn't specific to your class by any means).  I know that part of it is definitely related to the fact that we only have a few weeks left to go in the quarter, and I'm a little antsy to finish.  However, in reflecting on that, it's becoming increasingly evident that if I want my students to be engaged in their learning, my talking is not what's going to do it.  It was great working in the computer lab with Geometry sketchpad.  Each of us got the chance to complete the task and had to think about why certain shapes worked with other shapes in order to complete the task correctly. It was fun to be able to engage in a thinking task without being lectured about the properties of different quadrilaterals etc.

In terms of bringing these strategies into my classroom.  I'm excited to try different technologies that can help students engage more deeply into task oriented learning.  While it has been difficult to do this within the context of the materials available to me in my main placement, I'm excited to see the difference that task oriented learning and/or group work will have on my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment