I saw this episode of the Wonder Years the other day and had to laugh. It's the first day of 8th grade and everything is going well...until math class. When I watched this, I laughed at how ridiculous the teaching of math appeared. The episode was set about 50 years ago and I'd like to think we'd come a ways in math education since then. And certainly we have, in many ways. But I have to wonder why it is that math has a reputation for being the class that nobody understands and many students hate. What can we do to change this?
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI watched the Wonder Years video on your post but it ends before I hear the final conversation between the math teacher Mr. Collins and Kevin. I think I need to go find it so I can hear the final words of wisdom as he corrects the D to a D-! It is not quite 50 years ago (I know from personal knowledge) but it does represent an "old school" type of teacher - covered in chalk and focused on the curriculum. I do not think Mr. Collins knows much about building community!
I do think that some of the same things hold true today as back then. Students want teachers to get to know them and care about them and when students have those relationships with teachers, they learn better. It is one of the things that draws me to middle school. I keep hearing what a critical transition time that is for students and so teachers need to be a little bit of a counselor, coach, parent and cheerleader as well as teacher for students to have the best chance for success. I know that my middle school daughter works harder for those teachers that she has built relationships with. She wants to do a good job and please them (and hopefully herself).